Happy Thanksgiving! And sweet potatoes!

Maybe it's trite to list the things one feels thankful for on Thanksgiving, but I am just so full to the brim of gratitude for the wonderful people, places, and things with which I've been blessed.


The most amazing, generous, thoughtful, patient, and brilliant husband in the world.


Beautiful pups, one of whom is snuggled at my side as I type. The other is valiantly guarding the house while we spend the weekend away.


An incredible treehouse home in The Woodlands, with a fabulous pool, lovely patio, tons of storage space, and an absolutely awesome kitchen for me to indulge my favorite hobby.


A loving, supportive, encouraging family, most of us here in Houston within no more than 50 miles of each other.

Did I mention my fantastic husband??

The family gathered for Thanksgiving at my brother and sis-in-law's place, beautifully decked out for the holidays, and as usual we made enough food for a family 3 times our size. It was a delightful afternoon, followed by a return to our hotel room (I'm on call this weekend) for the traditional post-feast nap. And only one patient in the hospital, on whom one of my colleagues who was already up at the hospital offered to round. Oh yes, I'm thankful for that, too!!

So I wanted to share a very simple recipe which also makes me thankful this month. I've already made it twice in the past week, and I'll surely make it again soon. I know many people who say they don't like sweet potatoes, but I firmly believe that is because the sweet potatoes they have thus far encountered are smothered in sugar, marshmallows, candy, and other things designed to make a pleasantly sweet tuber painfully sweet. In this recipe, on the other hand, there's only a bit of spice and butter to bring out the natural yumminess of the sweet potatoes. And it's so simple you can hardly call it a recipe.

Chipotle Smashed Sweet Potatoes

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can of peppers
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put cubed potatoes into steamer basket and place steamer into a large pot of simmering water that is no closer than 2 inches from the bottom of basket. Allow to steam for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender. Add butter to potatoes and mash with potato masher. Add peppers, sauce, and salt and continue mashing to combine. Serve immediately.

Comments

  1. You have a treehouse home? What the heck is that? Whatever it is it sounds awesome. You have two cute pups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Merut! I do have 2 cute pups. And I do love my house, but a 'treehouse' home (called that by the homebuilders, Lifeforms, a small local company that's no longer around) isn't as exotic as it sounds - it's a split-level, with the master bedroom and living room upstairs in the treetops. We back up to a small wooded preserve, so our bedroom and bathroom look over lovely foliage. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts