Cinnamon souffle

12-17-10 cinnamon souffle (1) Hee! I tried out another souffle thanks to a comment on the blog! It was quite delicious, although I do not recommend that, as I did, you divide your 4 eggs into whites and yolks, then forget that you only wanted to use one yolk and dump all 4 in there instead. The souffle batter was rather viscous and didn't rise as I presume it would have preferred. And I was in a bit of a rush, so I wasn't careful about cleaning the sides and they mostly rose diagonally, which was amusing and fortunately still tasty. Definitely cinnamon-y without being overpowering. I'll try it again soon and pay more attention to what I'm doing.
 
Oh, and I lost my camera so I didn't take any photos. Then Mr. Leaven (yes, I have christened him Mr. Leaven) came home for lunch and found my camera under a pile of Christmas stuff on the counter. So there's a photo of a lopsided, half-risen souffle around here somewhere. Oh, hey, here it is. That’s a funny picture.
 
12-17-10 cinnamon souffle (2)
I coated 4 of the ramekins with cinnamon sugar and the other 2 I just used cooking spray. Mr. Leaven thought it was too sweet with the cinnamon sugar and preferred the plain ones. I liked it either way, but it was pretty sugary. If you're like Mr. Leaven, maybe just a dusting of cinnamon would be nice, or a 1:1 sugar to cinnamon ratio.
 
Cinnamon Souffle

6 small ramekins
Cooking oil spray or unsalted butter
Cinnamon sugar (3 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon)
1/2 c skim milk
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 egg yolks
1 Tbsp molasses
1 tsp vanilla

4 egg whites
Pinch of cream of tartar
1/2 c sugar

Preheat oven to 400F

Brush the ramekins completely with softened butter or spray with cooking oil. Coat with cinnamon sugar.

Mix the milk, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.

In a larger pan, bring water to a gentle simmer. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl set just over this water until pale and slightly foamy – about 6 minutes.

Mix the egg yolks into the cinnamon sauce. Add vanilla and molasses.

Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. While beating, add the sugar gradually. Beat until stiff peaks form.

Fold some of the whites into the cinnamon mixture to lighten, then the rest in two batches.

Spoon into ramekins, scraping off the top. Run your thumb around the edge, which may help them rise evenly. Bake 20 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts