FFWD: Cold melon-berry soup

I'm so late! It's Monday Tuesday Friday and I haven't posted my dish from last Friday! For that matter, I haven't posted for the Friday before either, but that was not because I'm running late but rather because I forgot to take pictures and a food post without a recipe and without a photo is a bit underwhelming.

I've kept up with the dishes, even if I haven't written about them (if a food is consumed without a blog post, was it ever really eaten?). Last week I think I was too tightly wound from the stress of keeping secrets from my husband (see previous blog post) to sit down and type.


I made the cold melon-berry soup last Friday. It was another wonderfully simple recipe - the last few FFWD recipes have been wonderful summery, relax-and-enjoy-don't-spend-all-day-in-the-kitchen choices. I had a melon of unclear origin from the CSA, which I discovered upon splitting in two was a watermelon and not a cantaloupe. Thus, served with the cold melon soup was a delicious watermelon-cucumber salsa and grilled salmon with lime-butter sauce. Nifty thing about the salmon - I found it in the case in the meats section of Kroger where they always have great deals on T-bones or tenderloins, and Friday it was fresh wild salmon for just under $8 a pound (50% off)!


For the soup, you scoop out melon balls from half of a very ripe cantaloupe, chill 'em, and puree the other half with a little citrus, sea salt, and ginger. Chill the puree, then serve in wide glasses or bowls filled with melon balls and strawberries. You can add a glug of white wine if you're feeling frisky. You can find the recipe in the lovely cookbook. You can see other takes on this week's dish at FFWD.


I enjoyed the soup. It was less dessert-y than I expected, probably because I was heavy-handed with the lemon (as I always am - some like it tart!). It went very well with the grilled salmon and watermelon salsa. I don't know whether I'll try the recipe again. Maybe if I chance upon an overripe cantaloupe. I suppose that's an unusual occurrence, but 2 unexpected watermelons have arrived at my home in the last week so it's not inconceivable.

Watermelon salsa

adapted from Epicurious

1 lime
2 cups 1/2-inch pieces of seeded watermelon
1 cup 1/2-inch pieces of seeded peeled cucumber
1 Tbsp chives, chopped
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
2 tsp minced seeded jalapeƱo chili
1 tsp sugar

Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from lime. Cut lime into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to same bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Serve chilled. Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.


Comments

  1. I was searching about
    chili recipe ,, but it is realy amaging blog , it also provides very good information. really very informative blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts