I think our favorite recipes so far from Around My French Table have been the salads. This one was not that different from the bacon and egg and asparagus salad that Mr Leaven references at least once a week. Both have greens tossed in a simple vinaigrette dressing, bacon, and eggs With this salad, you add fresh and sun-dried tomatoes (I used more of those wonderful slow-roasted tomatoes), croutons, and some dollops of mayonnaise. We added avocado slices, which made the dish reminiscent of a Cobb salad and was really yummy. Looking at our photos, I realize that there's so much going on that it doesn't look like a salad at all!
It was easy to assemble and, as Mr Leaven said, surprisingly good.
It's so funny how my life has changed since diving into the home cooking world. This salad really was easy to assemble, which is amazing given that we made:
- homemade mayonnaise (with chipotle! yum!)
- homemade vinaigrette - put oil, vinegar, and Dijon mustard in a blender and turn on
- homemade oven-dried tomatoes (this takes several hours in the oven, but once they're done you pack them in oil and use them just like store-bought sun-dried tomatoes)
- croutons - cut up bread and cook in a little bacon fat till golden
- fried some bacon, hard boiled some eggs
The mister is wonderful in the kitchen - I would call him my sous-chef, but this time I think I was sous-ing him. He's the best!
|showing off one of his many kitchen skills :)|