TwD: Pumpkin cranberry walnut bread


Catching up with Tuesdays with Dorie - I made this on time but didn't post!


I see pumpkin bread, and I expect a quick bread. This was not a quick bread. Not quick at all. This was yeast and kneading and multiple rises and not quick at all. The resulting loaf was full of pumpkin and cranberry and nuts and was quite good.


When I made this last month, cranberries were not quite in season yet but I did find a few tiny and ridiculously expensive bags of organic cranberries in Kroger's produce section. Fortunately I didn't need many, so one small bag sufficed. The cranberries were not exactly the ripest, meaning they were extremely tart. I enjoyed the occasional tart bite but it's not for everyone.



I mostly followed the recipe as written - I don't mess around with bread recipes - but I subbed dried cranberries for raisins (because I am extremely raisin-averse) and the doubly-cranberry bread was very nice. I also didn't have a small loaf pan, so I baked the bread a little longer in a regular 9x5 loaf pan. I brought the loaf to mom's house for a family gathering, and the adults enjoyed it plain or toasted with some butter. I think it would be awesome for that Thanksgiving leftover sandwich - just add turkey, stuffing, and green bean casserole. I may give that a try in a few weeks.


If you're interested, you can find the recipe in Baking With Julia or here at the blog of this month's host. And to see others' bagels, check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blog.

And yes, of course I'm late in posting again.


Comments

Popular Posts