Brown butter sage cream sauce

Every time I go to the local grocery store I glance at the Bertolli ravioli section to see if maybe they've added a butternut squash ravioli to the lineup. Lo and behold, last month it happened! Tonight I finally got around to preparing them and I was pleased.



My go-to sauce for butternut squash ravioli is brown butter sage with a little sun-dried tomato tossed on top and sometimes a sprinkle of Parmesan. Tonight I thought I'd experiment with cream and Mr Leaven enjoyed it so much he asked that I write down the recipe - so here I am, writing it down! But really, how can you go wrong adding cream to brown butter? This was a freebie. Honestly, the sauce was flavorful enough that it almost overpowered the butternut squash so it might be good just over farfalle or capellini. It's just good.  

I threw in some caramelized onions Mr Leaven had just prepared and they really added a nice sweetness but they aren't essential. 

Brown butter sage sauce

1/2 stick butter (I used salted because I knew I would be adding a lot of salt anyway)
10 sage leaves, coarsest chopped
1/4 c sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped (didn't have any packed in oil so I used Bella Sun Luci Zesty Pepper sun-dried tomatoes)
Splash of white wine (I used cava)
2/3 c heavy cream
1/4 c caramelized onions
Salt

Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Add sage leaves and sun-dried tomatoes and cook till butter is brown. Turn up the heat, add wine and cook off for a minute or two. Turn heat to low and add cream and onions. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, until cream is reduced to a thick sauce. Add salt to taste. Great over butternut squash ravioli or any other pasta. 


Comments

Popular Posts